These are the new changes that TikTok has applied to protect minors. From now on all child accounts will be private.
These changes will take effect for user accounts that are less than 18 years of age, mainly in those with ages between 13 and 15 years, applying important adjustments in the way of interacting with the application.
New “improved” privacy features for young people on TikTok
These changes that have been announced by the social network, comprise a set of “enhanced” privacy settings, which aim to restriction of functions and changing some default settings within the application.
As expressed by the platform itself, . Within the new aspects stand out:
- Improve options for commenting on videos created by 13-15 year olds. These users can now choose between friends or nobody for their account; Everyone's comment settings will be removed.
- Change the Duet and Stitch settings so that these features are now available only to content created by users over 16 years of age. For users ages 16-17, the default Duet and Stitch settings will now be set to Friends.
- Allow downloads of videos that have been created by users over 16 years old only. Other users can decide if they want to allow downloads of their videos, although for users aged 16-17, the default setting will now change to “off” unless they choose to enable it.
- Set “suggest your account to others” to “off” by default for users ages 13-15.
- Restrict direct messaging and hosting of live streams to accounts aged 16 and over.
- Restrict the purchase, sending and receiving of virtual gifts to users over 18 years of age.
- Allow parents and caregivers to set security measures for their teens' TikTok experience through our “family matching” features.
All these changes in privacy regulations can have a negative impact at first within this younger audience, especially in users between 16 and 17 years of age, since these drastic changes will undoubtedly affect the way they interact with the application.
We recommend you | Chingari, the alternative to TikTok arrives (and triumphs) from India
Likewise, those users more “Veterans”, could be affected in their reach and projection within the social network. Why? Basically because they are being limited in their visibility, not appearing in the “For you” section, limitations in performing duets and other aspects.
Partnership with Common Sense Network to improve the experience
In association , the social network aims to create a new viewing experience that results for users under 13 years of age, who within the territory of the United States are those who major changes have undergone within the application.
As they explain,
This is closely related to a report presented by The New York Time in 2020, which showed that around a third of the platform's users within the US territory would be a public under 14 years of age.
Similarly, Eric Berger, CEO of Common Sense Network, stated that
Since 2020, we have seen how the platform has incorporated important changes in these aspects, starting with allow teens' parents to set restrictions remotely to the accounts of the youngest, as well as giving them the possibility to modify the your children's privacy settings.
You may also like | These are the privacy accusations against TikTok
In this way, TikTok continues to add greater features of privacy control for user accounts under 18 years of age, all with the aim of providing a more pleasant and above all safe experience.
For more information | TikTok News