Wait no more and enjoy the new Google TV interface on your current television by following a few simple steps.
The latest Google Chromecast, introduced the long-awaited big renovation of Android TV under the name of Google TV, which incorporates, among many other things, a new user interface more intuitive, which brings recommendations to the fore to help us find our next or favorite series.
And although sooner or later Google tv will be coming to Android TV televisions, before that happens it is now possible to have the Google TV interface on current televisions and Android TV devices. In this guide, we explain how to do it step by step.
Update your Android TV with the Google TV interface
Before we begin, it is worth mentioning that, in order to install the Google TV interface on a television or device with Android TV, it is necessary meet a series of requirements. They are as follows:
Once you meet the requirements, we can start the process to install the Google TV interface on our current television or device, but not before remembering that this procedure implies the need to uninstall or deactivate an application from the system, with the risks that this entails.
It is also worth mentioning that this process works on devices such as the Xiaomi Mi TV Box or Nvidia Shield. With that said, let's see the steps to follow:
- On your TV enter Google Drive through the File Commander app and download the two APK files you previously uploaded.
- When you have downloaded them, install them on the tv. You may have to activate the installation of apps from unknown sources.
- Go to the Android TV settings. To do this, go to the home screen of the TV and select the gear icon in the upper right.
- Scroll to section “Device Preferences” and then to “Information”, where you will have to go to the “Status” menu. In this step, you should write down the IP address from the TV to have it handy in one of the next steps.
- Go back, and from the “Information” menu, click several times on the “Build number” to enable developer settings.
- Go back again, and look for the new developer options section. There, activate the option “Network debugging”.
- From your Android mobile or tablet, open the Remote ADB Shell app that you should have installed previously, and enter the IP address of the television that you have written down in the fourth step. In “port”, leave the 5555 that comes by default.
- A pop-up menu should appear on the TV. Accept it.
- On your mobile, enter the following command in the Remote ADB Shell app to run it on the TV: pm uninstall –user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher or pm disable-user –user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher if you prefer to disable the Android TV launcher instead of uninstall it completely.
- Touch the Home button on the TV remote, and automatically you should be directed to the new Google TV launcher. If in the future you want to recover the original interface, you just have to reinstall the launcher with the command cmd package install-existing com.google.android.tvlauncher, or activate it –if you have disabled it– with pm enable com.google.android .tvlauncher
That's it. Now, you can enjoy the new interface on your TV, based on recommendations that will contain series and movies that you could be interested in according to your habits.